The AJNs programs fall into the following broad categories:
- Professional development programs for media professionals in Asian countries.
- Training for the media people.
- To promote research among Asian journalism schools and institutions.
- To train the media persons, and prepare them for the field.
- To bridge the gap between academics and media professionals.
- To promote investigative journalism.
- To cater to the needs of professionals in Asian countries to strengthen democracy and investigative journalism.
- To promote investigative journalism for human development.
- To teach the effective use of social media for professional journalists.
- To strengthen investigative and independent journalism in Asia region.
- To encourage women to work in media and minority reporting in the developing countries.
- To promote free media and freedom of the press in most dangerous countries of the world and particularly in the Asian region.
- To build networking among media professionals across the region.
The network works with like-minded international organizations committed to strengthening the capacity of news media to produce robust, independent, investigative, informed and peace journalism.